Splunk (SPLK) has reported earnings. In short, our reaction is incredibly bullish. The stock rallied all day into earnings, and they were fantastic. We beleive that this beat versus expectaions and guidance raise will send shares up double digits again tomorrow. Below are the highlights:
“Third Quarter 2018 Financial Highlights
- Total revenues were $328.7 million, up 34% year-over-year.
- Total billings were $381.6 million, up 38% year-over-year.
- GAAP operating loss was $50.8 million; GAAP operating margin was negative 15.5%.
- Non-GAAP operating profit was $32.3 million; non-GAAP operating margin was positive 9.8%.
- GAAP loss per share was $0.36; non-GAAP earnings per share was $0.17.
- Operating cash flow was $52.3 million with free cash flow of $46.9 million.
“I’m proud of our global performance for the quarter and our increased outlook through the rest of the year,” said Doug Merritt, President and CEO, Splunk. “Splunk announced a wide range of innovations at .conf2017 including native support for metrics and machine learning updates to Splunk® Enterprise and Splunk Cloud; new event analytics capabilities in Splunk IT Service Intelligence; new content updates for Splunk Enterprise Security; and a host of new use case-specific solutions. Splunk customers are seizing upon the growing opportunity machine data presents and only Splunk can help them get answers on-premises, in the cloud or across hybrid environments.”
Third Quarter 2018 and Recent Business Highlights:
- Signed more than 450 new enterprise customers.
- New and Expansion Customers Include: 21st Century Fox, Arizona State University, ATB Financial, Atlassian, Banner Health, BCD Travel, Blackbaud, Blucora, CallidusCloud, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Daimler (DDAIF) (Germany), Deakin University (Australia), Defense Health Agency, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue (England), The E.W. Scripps Company, Johns Hopkins University, Li & Fung (Hong Kong), Nutanix, Norsk Helsenett (Norway), PIMCO, Purdue University, SAS, Smithsonian Institution, Texas Department of Transportation, U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Data Center, Vodafone Egypt, Yahoo! JAPAN
- Announced at .conf2017 a new suite of solutions and expanded machine learning capabilities across Splunk’s product portfolio to bring machine learning to the mainstream.
- Announced Splunk Enterprise 7.0 with advancements in machine learning and support for metrics to accelerate monitoring and alerting by at least 20x.
- Announced Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) 3.0 to revolutionize event monitoring by combining service context with machine learning.
- Announced Splunk User Behavior Analytics (UBA) 4.0, enabling customers to create and load their own machine learning models to identify custom anomalies and threats via a new software development kit (SDK).
- Announced Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) Content Update, a new subscription service that regularly delivers dynamic, pre-packaged security content to Splunk ES customers.
- Announced Splunk Essentials for Fraud Detection, a free Splunk app that guides customers on how to use Splunk to identify and investigate different types of fraud.
- Acquired selected assets of Rocana Inc., a company providing analytics solutions for the IT market, to extend Splunk’s IT operations leadership.
- Acquired SignalSense Inc., a company offering cloud-based advanced data collection and breach detection solutions, further advancing Splunk’s machine learning capabilities.
- Showcased flexible pricing programs tailored to fit the needs of all customers and deliver value no matter where organizations are in their Splunk journey.
- Unveiled new, free training programs to help military veterans and youth train for careers in technology through Splunk4Good in partnership with nonprofits AWS re:Start, NPower, Wounded Warrior Project and Year Up.
- Inducted 42 members of the 2018 cohort of the SplunkTrust program to recognize some of the most dedicated members of the Splunk Community.
Strategic and Channel Partners:
- Showcased rapid growth of the company’s global partner ecosystem at .conf2017, with the Partner+ Program helping 950 partners worldwide drive market opportunity and profitability.
- Introduced new versions of the Splunk Add-on for Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Splunk App for AWS with major enhancements around ingestion speed and setup usability.
- Announced the general availability of Booz Allen Hamilton Cyber4Sight for Splunk, a solution empowering security analysts and threat hunters with actionable threat intelligence.
- Released the new Splunk App for Puppet Enterprise and Splunk ITSI Module for Puppet Enterprise in partnership with Puppet Labs to help customers address issues in real-time through machine learning.
- Expanded partnership with Dell EMC with the new Dell (DELL) EMC Ready Systems for Splunk, a pre-engineered portfolio of purpose-built systems for Splunk Enterprise.
- Named to Fortune Magazine’s inaugural Future 50 list, which highlights the most forward-looking, innovative companies in the world.
- Named to the 2017 Technology Fast 500 for the fifth consecutive year. Sponsored by Deloitte, the list recognizes 500 of the fastest-growing companies in North America.
- Listed as a “Vendor to Watch” in the Gartner 2017 Magic Quadrant for Digital Marketing Analytics.
- Hosted .conf2017: the 8th Annual Splunk Conference in Washington, drawing more than 7,000 Splunk enthusiasts, customers and partners.
- Honored the winners of the 2017 Revolution Awards at .conf2017, recognizing spectacular achievements from Splunk’s worldwide customers and partners.
- Hosted the first-ever SplunkLive! in Montreal and additional SplunkLive! events in cities worldwide, including Beijing, Seattle, Shanghai and Singapore. Presentations can be found on the SplunkLive! website.
- Appointed Sara Baack, chief marketing officer of Equinix, and Elisa Steele, former CEO and president of Jive Software, to Splunk’s Board of Directors.
- Promoted Susan St. Ledger to the newly created role of president, worldwide field operations.
The company is providing the following guidance for its fiscal fourth quarter 2018 (ending January 31, 2018):
- Total revenues are expected to be between $388 million and $390 million.
- Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be approximately 16%.
The company is updating its previous guidance provided on August 24, 2017 for its fiscal year 2018 (ending January 31, 2018):
- Total billings are expected to be approximately $1.485 billion (was approximately $1.450 billion).
- Total revenues are expected to be between $1.239 and $1.241 billion (was between $1.210 and $1.215 billion).
- Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be approximately 8.5% (was approximately 8%).
The company is providing the following guidance for its fiscal year 2019 (ending January 31, 2019):
- Total revenues are expected to be approximately $1.550 billion.
- Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be approximately 10.5%.”